I love Christmas time in DC – the city almost looks magical with all the Christmas lights and decorations and my kids just absolutely love it! One of our favorite free activities is to visit the National Christmas Tree and did you know you can attend to the Lighting ceremony for free?
The National Christmas Tree Lighting is a free event but be able to attend you need to enter a lottery and hope for the best. A lot of my friends have made the cut so don’t be discouraged, they give away thousands of tickets.
“On December 1, 2016 the National Park Foundation and National Park Service will present the 94th annual National Christmas Tree Lighting. Popular entertainers and a United States military band add to the celebratory evening when the President of the United States lights the National Christmas Tree and brings a message of peace to the nation and world.”
- Lottery Opens: Friday, October 7, 2016 (10 a.m. ET)
- Lottery Closes: Monday, October 10, 2016 (10 a.m. ET)
- Lottery Results Available Starting: Thursday, October 27, 20160
Event Date: Thursday, December 1, 2016
- Tickets are free, but limited.
- There is no charge for entering the lottery.
- Only one application per household. All other applications will be voided without notice.
- Results will be available on October 27. Emails will be sent after that date to the lottery winners with instructions for printing tickets.
**To enter the lottery click here**
See last year’s National Christmas Tree Lightning:
The National Christmas Tree will be up for the entire month of December and it’s really beautiful. If you don’t win the lottery tickets you should still take your kiddos to see this magical Christmas display.